Hi everyone, welcome back to Palace daughter. Today’s post is about evaluation. The post will begin with a self-assessment which requires a genuine answer from you. Find below.
If I request that you choose either LIKE or RESPECT, which would you choose?
Ponder about this.
Over the years, it has been observed that so many people especially females love being liked rather than being respected. But have you ever considered the disadvantages? And have you ever considered choosing respect over likeability?
Why RESPECT over LIKEABILITY?
- You choose respect over likeability when you hold firm to your values. It is important to note that most of the time when you hold firm to your values, you may not be liked but will definitely be respected.
- You choose respect over likeability when you choose your emotional health over remaining in a toxic relationship because you want to please people or wants to be liked. You want people to admire you and perceive you as good but the truth is, it’s better to be respected rather than liked. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing bad in being liked but respect should come first. If you noticed mostly in abusive relationships, the victims are liked and not respected. The victims may be receiving gifts but being tormented emotionally, physically, sexually among others. A lot of people who stay in abusive relationship chose like over respect because if they really value respect, they won’t give abuse a minute in their lives.
“You don’t ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It does not matter whether someone is a relative, a romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance. You don’t have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It’s one thing if someone own up to their behavior and makes effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignore your boundaries and treat you in a harmful way. Show the individual the way out of your life”.- Danielle Kokpke
SEE ALSO:BECOMING A BETTER WRITER
- You choose respect over likeability when you respect other people’s boundaries and also expect people to respect your boundaries. There is a proverb that says “Do what you want done to you”. It may not happen all the time but I can assure you that most times you are the mirror of how you treat people especially people close to you. If you treat people with respect, they do same to you and lot more.
- You choose respect over likeability when you are yourself irrespective of what people think or feel about you. In this way you are not people’s pleaser. You don’t please others at your detriment. You have a mind of your own and not easily swayed by the wind. You are firm and not opinionated. You have an opinion and not neutral until a better opinion comes up. Permit me to ask this question. Do you believe you know yourself more than people know you or people know you more that you know yourself? If you are excessively concerned about what people feel about you then you feel they know you more than yourself. Therefore, I will advise you to do more of self-assessment. That means you need to know yourself better (self-awareness).Normally, people will know you but you should know yourself better except you are not honest with yourself.
SEE ALSO: FEW WAYS TO SAY NO WITHOUT FEELING BAD
- You choose respect over likeability when you are able to take responsibility for your actions and being able to adapt to other people’s emotion.
- You choose respect over likeability when you choose the truth over trends. You chose to speak the truth despite the number of people tilting towards trends. It is important to note that not everything in vogue is true or appropriate.
- You choose respect over likeability when your integrity can be predicted and not any other thing. Can people say “He can never do that” and find it that way?
- You choose respect over likeability when you chose to dress well without overly exposing sensitive parts of your body, which is the reason for clothing in the first place.
“Real romance is the amalgamation of like and respect”–Similoluwa Babafemi
Thanks for reading. Byeeeeee